Food and nutrients play a vital role in optimizing bone health, no matter what your age.
- The following nutrients and foods on a regular basis will help ensure you have strong, healthy bones: Calcium is essential for bone health; it helps to keep them strong
- Vitamin D works with calcium to promote bone mineralization
- Caffeine intake: limit to less than 300 mg/day
- Alcohol reduces the body’s ability to form new bone and lowers bone calcium levels
- Salt consumed in excess may result in increased loss of bone calcium
- Animal protein when consumed in excess may result in calcium being taken from our bones and used as a buffer against the acid which is formed as a result of its metabolisation
- Weight bearing and resistance exercise is proven to help bones stay strong
- Fruit and vegetables contain nutrients essential for bone health, such as vitamin K, C, magnesium and potassium.
For more detailed advice that will specifically suit you and your lifestyle, and assist with improving your bone health, please give us a call or fill in the contact form on this page.